Case Study Writing
But before you show off the projects that make you the proudest, make sure you follow the important steps that will help ensure that work is effectively communicated, and leaves all parties feeling good about it.
The best case studies highlight completed work supported by measurable results that show how you solved a problem for a now-happy client.The client objective you focus on will depend on what you want to prove to your future customers as a result of publishing this case study.
To help you get a handle on this step, it’s important to first understand that there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to the ways you can present a case study.and Joel R.As you progress down the infographic, emphasize major KPIs using bigger text and charts that show the successes your client has had since working with you.Case Study Research in Practice.Next: How did you help Case Study them solve their problem?
Note that, depending on the discipline you are writing in and your professor’s preferences, the concluding paragraph may contain your final reflections on the evidence presented applied to practice or on the essay’s central research problem.Misunderstanding 5: It is often difficult to summarize and develop general propositions and theories on the basis of specific case studies [p.In your conclusion, offer possible solutions or next steps for research, based on your results.
How to Approach Writing a Case Study Research Paper
One part of this step is to choose clients who have experienced unexpected success from your product or service.That said, you should typically aim to include the following in the Case Study Release Form:In this section, you explain why you selected a particular subject of analysis to study and the strategy you used to identify and ultimately decide that your case was appropriate in addressing the research problem.Whether your case study is primarily written or visual, we recommend focusing on the seven-part outline, below.Critical incident case studies must describe the method by which you identified the event and explain the process by which you determined the validity of this case to inform broader perspectives about the research problem or to reveal new findings.If you’re looking to craft a compelling story, “yes” or “no” answers won’t provide the details you need.
Every detail you include should serve one purpose: to support the thesis of your case study.There are approximately four types of case studies: illustrative (descriptive of events), exploratory (investigative), cumulative (collective information comparisons) and critical (examine particular subject with cause and effect outcomes).
The format of how you present your case study is up to you, but keep in mind, they should be easy to find and read.Misunderstanding 4: The case study contains a bias toward verification, that is, a tendency to confirm the researcher’s preconceived notions.Okay, I know what you’re thinking.A case study examines a person’s or business’s specific challenge or goal, and how they solved for it.They must be evidence-based and grounded in the results of the study; otherwise, it is merely speculation.Perhaps the success you’re highlighting is in the number of leads your client generated, customers closed, or revenue gained.
Podcasts are a platform for you to have a candid conversation with your client.When branding and design studio Corey McPherson Nash showcases its work, it makes sense for it to be visual — after all, that’s what they do.If your subject of analysis is a person. Explain why you selected this particular individual to be studied and describe what experience he or she has had that provides an opportunity to advance new understandings about the research problem.This includes describing the relationships this person has had with other people, institutions, and/or events that support using him or her as the subject for a case study research paper.That persuades.“What Is a Case Study and What Is It Good for?” American Political Science Review 98 (May 2004): 341-354; Mills, Albert J.
- How did you hear about our product or service?
- How will this study advance new knowledge or new ways of understanding? Explain why your case study will be suitable in helping to expand knowledge and understanding about the research problem.
- Use brutal honesty, but do not be opinionated. State the true facts, and use appropriate language regarding the situation. Try to speak with the significant other about these facts, in order to represent the full story.
- What are your goals?
- Who is using the product or service?
Whether it’s a brief snapshot of your client’s health since working with you, or a long success story of the client’s growth, your case study will measure this success using metrics that are agreed upon by the client you’re featuring.San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 1998; Miller, Lisa L.Once approved, the Release Form should be signed and returned to you.
- How is the product or service helping you save time and increase productivity?
- Call out relevant data points and quotes you want readers to remember visually.
- An explanation of what you expect from the participant, beyond the completion of the case study. For example, is this customer willing to act as a reference or share feedback, and do you have permission to pass contact information along for these purposes?
- How much have you increased metrics X, Y, and Z?
- A note about compensation.
One of the best ways to prove your worth is through a compelling case study.The two elements should be linked.There may be anecdotal evidence that retention rates were better for girls who were on social media, but this observation would only point to the need for further research and would not be a definitive finding if this was not a part of your original research agenda.
- Ensure you’re asking the right questions.
- Determine the case study’s objective and format.
- Does the case provide important insight or illuminate a previously hidden problem? In-depth analysis of a case can be based on the hypothesis that the case study will reveal trends or issues that have not been exposed in prior research or will reveal new and important implications for practice. For example, anecdotal evidence may suggest drug use among homeless veterans is related to their patterns of travel throughout the day. Assuming prior studies have not looked at individual travel choices as a way to study access to illicit drug use, a case study that observes a homeless veteran could reveal how issues of personal mobility choices facilitate regular access to illicit drugs. Note that it is important to conduct a thorough literature review to ensure that your assumption about the need to reveal new insights or previously hidden problems is valid and evidence-based.
- What benefits or results did your client see as a result of your work immediately?
- Describe the relationship each work has to the others under consideration that informs the reader why this case is applicable. Your literature review should include a description of any works that support using the case to study the research problem and the underlying research questions.